To Enlarge:




To enlarge the picture, just click on the actual photo and it will be MUCH bigger! (I just figured this out!)

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Twirl Apron directions

So here are directions for the Twirl apron that I made. There has been a request for this pattern from a friend. I figured this was the easiest way to get it to her!! I adapted this from the book A IS FOR APRON by Nathalie Mornu, pge 102-103. If you enjoy apron making, this book is awesome!! You will need 1/2 yard for the body of the apron and 3/4 yd for the border, ties and pocket. If you are not comfortable with the whole 'squeezing to fit' method of pattern cutting, go ahead and get a yard of each. That is what the book recommends. If you want to embellish with rick rack or lace, you will need a yard or one package. Of course don't forget to make sure you have thread that coordinates! Please put your e-mail in the comments and I will send you the PDF file with the pattern, since I do not know how to make a link to it!

Such a pretty little thing!

From the apron body fabric, cut 5 pieces. Be sure to cut them one at a time, switching them back and forth to make the most of the fabric. The picture shows how I did it.


From the border fabric cut 5 of the lower trim pieces. Be sure to cut them one at a time, not with the fabric folded. They all need to be facing the same way!! I have a picture of how I laid the piece on the fabric, each time switching directions.

Also from the border fabric, for the ties, cut two 6" x 36" pieces. I cut them with the fabric folded, selvages at the top. Then cut one 6" x 22" piece for the waist band. Cut Cut a 6" x 9" piece for the pocket. (This is the fabric from another apron. I forgot to take a pic of the brown!)


Stitch the border pieces to the body pieces. All seams will be 3/8" seam allowance.


Press them neatly.


If you decide to add trim, here is the point at which you would sew it on the pieces.


Stitch all five pieces together. Because I had to make the pattern from a drawing, it does not match exactly, so just even it up when you sew and trim off the excess. You can see where I matched the top and bottom, laid it flat, and then trimmed it up.


Press open the seams. Trim up the hemline. It will be somewhat circular.


I used a serger, so I just turned my hem. You can also either zig-zag finish or just turn it twice for the hem on the sides and bottom. Press and then top stitch.


Carefully fold the corners.


Stitch up the two ties, turn right side out and press.


Fold pocket side, bottom and top hems, pressing with the iron. I folded the top over on the diagonal just to make it similar to the lines of the apron. Top stitch the pocket top hem and then stitch the pocket to the front of the apron.


Find the center of the waistband and the apron body. Pin the waistband to the apron top and then stitch the waistband to the top of the apron body, this time using a 5/8" seam allowance. Press the waistband up making sure the seam goes up toward the waistband. This will ensure a neatly finished band!


Pin the ties to the front of the waistband, laying it even with the apron. I make a tuck in the tie end so that it is a bit smaller and will fit a bit easier in the waistband when finished.


Fold over the waistband, right sides together and stitch from top to bottom. I usually go down and then reverse again all the way to the top to make it strong and secure.


Now fold out the ties, pulling to make sure the top corners of the waistband are neat. Fold in the remaining waistband, pressing it up inside itself. I try to fold it so that the edge comes just over the stitching on the apron so that when you top stitch it from the front of the apron waistband it will be sure to catch the back of the waistband as well. (Please let me know if this is confusing and I will try to clarify!)


Press it all in place and then top stitch the waistband from the front at about 1/8 inch from the seam.


Your apron is complete!!

I have added some photos of other fabrics I used. This is such a cute pattern and really quick and simple once you have done it once!!

Please, please let me know how I can clarify any of these directions!! I am happy to help out!!